‘Twas the night before Christmas, when out from the kitchen
Came the crashing of cake pans and loud plaintive bitchin’;
The oven mitts hung by the oven with care
But cream, milk, and salt were spilled everywhere.
The egg shells were nestled all snug in the trash,
While I hastily gift-wrapped toy trains and some cash.
The cookies are filled now, and I in my cap,
Need to drink some hard liquor and have a long nap.
Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and/or bottoms up everyone. :p
SESAME SEED THUMBPRINT COOKIES
· 1 cup butter, softened
· 1/2 cup white sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 1/2 cups sesame seeds
· 3 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup plain yogurt
· Icing or jam
· Holiday sprinkles (optional)
1) Toast sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat until they turn a shade darker and smell nutty. Let cool completely.
2) Preheat oven to 325ºF.
3) Beat butter until soft. Add sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and sesame seeds and beat until blended. Add flour, beat until well blended. Then beat in yogurt until just mixed.
4) Shape dough into 2-inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Press indentation in the middle of each cookie—cookie may crack, which is fine. These don’t spread much, so they can be placed quite close together. Bake 30 minutes and let cool.
5) Fill indentation with sweet jam or the icing of your choice. Sprinkle with sprinkles, if desired.
Note: You can choose not to indent the cookies and simply roll the cooled cookies in powdered sugar.